Supreme Cage Fighting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome..

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Gilberto Dos Santos interview

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Gilberto Dos Santos
Lightweight Poster
Lightweight Poster

Gilberto Dos Santos interview Empty
PostSubject: Gilberto Dos Santos interview   Gilberto Dos Santos interview I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 9:15 am

Gilberto Dos Santos interview 20751

Gilberto Dos Santos surprised Magnum with his aggressiveness on the ground in SFC 13

Gilberto Dos Santos add another win to his personal record. Gilberto, a BJJ black belt, scores another win against the tough Andy Magnum, who he defeated before under SFC rules.
Sherdog has had the chance to talk with the former middleweight champion minutes after the event ends.

Sherdog.com: Hi, Gilberto. Congratulations on your performance tonight.
GDS: Thanks.

Sherdog.com: Andy Magnum called you because he wanted a rematch. You have already won him in SFC 4. How do you feel for this fight?
GDS: I feel a bit distressed. I know Andy is a top fighter and I know he wants revenge since I stopped him before. This fight could be the middleweight first contender match so I want to win this one badly.

Sherdog.com: You have won by decision. What was your gameplan tonight?
GDS: The fight was smoother to me that I've predicted. I tried to take the fight to the ground. I know Andy Magnum is better on the standup. I'd like to have submitted him but a win is a win.

Sherdog.com: You showed tonight a new aspect of your style with those ground punches.
GDS: (Laughs) Andy Magnum was of course against being submitted so I tried to softer him a bit with a few punches. It didn't work as I spected but he was not the same after a few punches in the ground and pound.

Sherdog.com: But let's go the the big news of the day: Steels is the new middleweight champion. You both didn't begin on the right foot but you was on his corner tonight. How was that?
GDS: Steels is a showman. He goes under the spotlights and talk a lot. He hyped the matches and calls out people. Some fighter didn't like his attitude but it works with the fans. Once he's in the gym he trains and work his ass out for being the best. I didn't like him very much at the beginning but I've talked to him and we are friends now I understand his business tactics.

Sherdog.com: Did you give him some advices?
GDS: I told him to be aware of Holgate's moves. Holgate tries to corner you and uses the fence in a smart way. I also told him to don't stop when the fight is on the ground. I know Holgate can submit you if you low your guard. Arnold was the one who was throwing the more clever suggestions. He was very involved in the fight. I still have his yell in my ears. When Andy knocked down Robert in the fifth round with a low kick, Arnold shouted "Break his face!". And so he did!

Sherdog.com: He beat the only man that has beaten you. You could face him soon as him as the champion. What do you expect of that fight?
GDS: He have won the title in a highlight reel fashion. He was dominating Robert in almost every aspect of the fight. It says a lot about his dedication and Hemingway's training system. I hope to be in a good shape when we finally meet in the cage. I want the title he has now and I must to train like a mad man if I want a chance of take it form him.

Sherdog.com: We know you have to go to the press room...
GDS: And then to the party! I hoped the take the karaoke machine away from Gallant this time!

Sherdog.com: Thanks for your time, Gilberto.
GDS: Thank you.
Back to top Go down

Gilberto Dos Santos interview
Page 1 of 1